Tuesday, June 18, 2019
Summer Home Care
I don't know about you, but as we head into summer, we are preparing our home for the season. After a winter that did not want to end, and a spring that tried to flood everyone out, we are finally getting the chance to clean and prepare for summer.
We are already experiencing those little summer pests. You know, ants, mosquitos, gnats and flies. I am sure some of the ant problems have to do with how much rain we have had and they are just coming in to stay dry too. I have found ants on my desk, in the bathrooms and even one or two on our dining room table. There was a whole army of them surrounding my husband's door to his study. And don't get me started on spiders. I have never seen more spiders here than this year. Inside the home and outside. At least I am short so if I let my husband go down our walkway first he takes out all the newly built spider webs!!
So what can you do about the invasion of bugs?
1. Remove all standing water from around your home and yard.
2. Cut back all brush, shrubbery and tree limbs from your home.
3. Seal any cracks where you find them entering your home.
4. Be sure to put away all food, clean up spills, and wipe away all crumbs.
5. Wipe down all counters and stove tops with a cleaner.
6. Be sure your sink is clean after doing dishes.
7. Be sure to spray a pest control around window and door seals where those little pests can enter.
8. Keep all pet bags sealed and remove your pets dishes when they are done eating.
We are also doing a generalized cleanup of our yard. Some of the weather had affected our privacy fence, so we had to replace some slats and tighten up a few boards. The dogs found a few places to escape, so we had to fix that too. We have mowed several times in between rain. My husband has gone around the home cutting down branches and other brush as well as picking up dead branches that fell. He has also cleaned the gutters and trimmed all the brush from the driveway. He had to block several holes under the home to prevent larger pests.
Next on our list is giving the outside of the house a good cleaning. We have a lot of dust, spider webs and wasp nests to remove. I definitely do not want the wasps moving back in. Of course all the windows will receive a good cleaning as well and then we will apply an insecticide.
So neighbors, what are you doing to cleanup and prevent pests? Any helpful hints? Be sure to share them in the comments below.
Thanks for stopping by, where neighbors share!!
Posted by At the Fence at 6/18/2019 10:26:00 AM