Today I want to share this recipe with you. Hobo dinner packets have become one of my family's favorite meals, and they love getting their own customized packet. This option is with hamburger patties (we've also made them with chicken), and there are so many veggie/side options you can do! Cooking them in the sealed foil packets make everything so tender, and the seasons and flavor really meld into the food. Now that it's warming up a little, we're planning on doing them outside on the grill!
I have one that doesn't like the dry onion soup mix or cream of mushroom soup in/on hers, so I just pull out some of the ground beef and make her a couple of plainly seasoned patties first. Most of the family is also trying to eat pretty low carb, so where a lot of people would usually include potatoes and such, we stuck with veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, zucchini, pepper + onion, etc. As far as seasoning the veggies I usually do at least salt, pepper, minced garlic, and coat with parmesan. I'm not one of those that follows an exact recipe, so I'll just throw in a little of this or that if it sounds good. Also, if you put your foil in/over a salad bowl before filling your packets, it helps keep them a semi-consistent shape and size.
|Momma with her Hobo Packet!|
- 4lbs. Defrosted Ground Beef
- 1 Box (2 Packets) of Dry Onion Soup Mix
- 1 Can of Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 Bag of Frozen Broccoli
- 1 Bag of Frozen Cauliflower
- 1 Bag of Frozen Green Beans
- 2 Small Zucchini
- 1 Green Pepper
- 1 Small Onion
- Vegetable Oil
- Choice of Seasonings
- Preheat the oven to 375° F.
- In a large bowl combine the ground beef and dry onion soup mix to preference. Form your patties and set to the side.
- In a large bowl combine your veggies of choice. Drizzle with vegetable oil and add your preference of seasonings.
- Lay out aluminum foil and place a layer of veggies in the bottom (make sure you leave room to fold the foil in afterwards). Add two patties on top of the veggies, and then spoon 2-3 Tbs. of soup on top of them.
- Fold the foil in to seal the packet, and place it on a baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the patties and veggies.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until burger is throughly cooked and veggies are tender. Remove from oven and serve while hot.