Most of us know that diet and exercise go a long way toward providing us with good health. But when it comes to good health, few of us look beyond our eating and activity habits. There are many other things you can do to ensure your health. Good health is about a strong immune system, as well as good mental and emotional well-being. We give you the five little-known secrets to all round health:
- Sleep - Good quality sleep is hard to come by these days. Ditch the tech in the last hour before bed, and adopt a good bedtime routine. Make sure your bed is good for you too. You can buy double mattresses online today, so there is no excuse for putting up with an old and uncomfortable one. Keep your bedroom cool and dark, and block out noisy interruptions as best you can. Most importantly, make sure you have enough time in bed to get the sleep you need.
- Breathing - We may do this all day every day, and all through the night. But manipulating your natural breath can help you improve your mental, emotional and physical health. The breathing techniques taught in Yoga can help you gain clarity of thought and better concentration. Deep breathing is known to relax us and provide almost instant stress relief. Lower your blood pressure and help soothe those tense muscles with good breathing.
- Inversion - Being upside down also has many health benefits. It can increase your circulation and blood flow to the brain. This is thought to improve your mental capacity and productivity. One of the best benefits is the elongating of the spine. It can reduce any back pain you may regularly feel, and help the nervous system cope better with the day. This position is also considered one of the best to deal with anxieties.
- Good Company - Being with your friends and being around intellectually interesting people is one of the best ways to stay healthy. The company of others is thought to provide your mind with plenty of stimulation. You are also burning more calories by engaging with a group than sitting alone. Best of all, friends provide lots of emotional support through the tough times. Social activities are key to good mental health too as we are social creatures after all.
- Smiling - Not many know this, but smiling is an excellent way to stay healthy. Studies have shown that even if you force a smile, the health benefits can be amazing. It has been known to reduce stress and anxiety levels by releasing endorphins, natural chemicals in the body that make us feel happier. Even more incredible, smiling can actually lower your blood pressure and boost your immune system.
There you have it. Five different ways to boost your health and well-being. Life is full of wonderful ways to make living a happy and healthy experience. The key to good health and happiness is finding those things that create those good vibes for you. Take a stroll along the beach, or meditate in a pretty flower garden. Enjoy life to the full.