Homes are supposed to be a safe haven, but that isn’t always the case. Sometimes, things go wrong leaving you vulnerable and defenseless on your own property. What’s even worse is that it doesn’t have to be an outside source like a burglar. Even though it seems farfetched, your appliances can sometimes cause danger. Yep, some of them if not properly cared for create all kinds of chaos from time to time. So, the question is: which ones are they and how do you stop it from happening?
The answers to that question are underneath.
Sure, it is summer and the weather is usually warm enough to keep the house toasty and warm. Still, there are times when the sun drops and the temperature follows suit. When this happens, it isn’t rare for people to turn to a space heater. After all, they are very effective. Sadly, they are also a fire hazard as a space heater gives off a large amount of heat. So, anything that is near to it that is flammable could possibly catch fire. Be sure to keep things away from your space heater. Also, the inefficient ones can emit toxic fumes. To prevent these hazards be sure that your space heater is up to date and does not have any defects.
There is no doubt that a dryer is an essential appliance. However, they have also been known to catch on fire. In fact, sometimes the results are catastrophic. If you don’t believe that, take a look at the Grenfell Tower incident in London. Thankfully, a dryer duct cleaning service is a simple solution. Be sure to keep the area surrounding your dryer clean and free from clutter. Clean the lint filter regularly. Also, try and cut back on the usage when you can and hang your laundry outside.
How can a water faucet do any serious damage? Well, a leaky tap is one of the leading causes of household floods. And, water damage often leads to bigger health issues like mold. Check under and around sinks and tubs regularly for leaks. If you have a basement that pipes run through, check there too. To avoid any leaks, the faucet needs tightening so that the water doesn’t drip.
Electricity is by far the most dangerous element in any home because it has the power to kill and yet is necessary to run just about everything. Everything from the TV to the kitchen appliances use significant amounts of electricity, so it is everywhere. As such, it’s important to treat it with respect. Take power outlets as an example. Not only can overused outlets throw out electrical sparks, but they can also lead to a fire. Although an outlet isn’t an appliance per se, they do connect to every single one in the house. So, only plug in one or two at a time and don’t overload.
Hopefully, these tips will help you to stay even safer at home.