Perfect day for this post! I hope all my neighbors are getting to spend at least part of their 4th of July with family and friends. We are having a cookout this afternoon with 17 people! Hamburgers, chips, potato salad, stuffed eggs and of course hot dogs.
Were you aware:
2.3 billion hot dogs are consumed during National Hot Dog Month which occurs in July
· During hot dog season, from Memorial Day to Labor Day, 7 billion hot dogs are consumed which translates to 818 hot dogs every second during that time period
· Mustard is the number one hot-dog topping in America
· On July 4th, Americans will enjoy 155 million hot dogs—enough to stretch from D.C. to L.A. over five times
· Every year, Americans eat an average of 60 hot dogs each
· Classic Yellow mustard is 100% natural with zero calories, making it one of the healthiest condiment
Did you know that hot dogs and mustard were both introduced in 1904 at the St. Louis Worlds Fair? Ever since that time, hot dogs along with Mustard have been an integral part of America’s family summer celebrations – from ballgames and backyard barbeques to picnics and state fairs. In 1915, French’s® Mustard made baseball a permanent part of its heritage by incorporating its name into the iconic red pennant we know today. So as you gather family and friends to mark America’s birthday, remember that July is National Hot Dog Month and celebrate with hot dogs and French’s®, America’s #1 selling mustard
Wow! Were you aware of that? So, not only will we be celebrating the 4th of July, we will be participating in National Hot Dog month as well!
Here are a few interesting dates you might want to share with family and friends today while you have your 4th of July celebration:
1839- Baseball invented by Abner Doubleday
1903 – The inaugural World Series between the National League (formed in 1876) and American League (formed in 1900) champs.
1904- French’s® Cream Salad (yellow) Mustard introduced at the St. Louis World’s Fair.
1915- French’s® Pennant became the brand’s official logo.
1926- Reckitt and Coleman purchased RT French Company.
2000- Reckitt and Coleman changed its name to Reckitt Benckiser, the current parent company of French’s® Mustard.
2004- French’s® Celebrates 100th Anniversary of Classic Yellow Mustard
2010- Today French’s® Mustard offers Spicy Brown, Honey, Honey Dijon, and Horseradish flavors in addition to its Classic Yellow Mustard and new Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce.
Now, I just have to share these recipes with you that they sent me:
HOT DOG BURRITOS
A quick, easy meal for back-to-school days. To serve for lunch, spoon bean mixture into Thermos®-style containers. Great for serving at picnics, too!
Prep Time: 5 min. Cook Time: 5 min.
1 (16 oz.) can baked beans
8 frankfurters, sliced
1/3 cup ketchup
2 tbsp. FRENCH’S® Classic Yellow® Mustard
2 tbsp. brown sugar
8 (8 inch) flour tortillas, heated
1. COMBINE beans, sliced frankfurters, ketchup, mustard and sugar in medium saucepan. Simmer about 5 min. to heat through.
2. SPOON mixture into tortillas, dividing evenly. Roll up jelly-roll style.
Makes 8 servings
Tip: Try topping dogs with FRENCH’S® French Fried Onions before rolling up!
KIELBASA & KRAUT HEROES
For barbecues, place this mixture into a heavy foil pan. Cover and heat on grill 15 minutes. Spoon on heroes just before serving.
Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 20 minute
1 tbsp vegetable oil
2 large, red onions, cut in half lengthwise and thinly sliced
2lbs kielbasa, thickly sliced
2 lbs sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
1 can (12 ounces) beer or non-alcoholic malt beverage
1/2 cup FRENCH’S® Spicy Brown Mustard or FRENCH’S® Horseradish Mustard
1 tbsp. caraway seeds
8 hot dog or hero-style buns
1. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onions; cook 5 minutes or just until tender, stirring often. Remove from skillet.
2. Add kielbasa to skillet; cook and stir 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Drain off fat. Stir in onions, sauerkraut, beer, mustard and caraway seeds. Cook over low heat 10 minutes or until most of liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally. Serve in buns.
Makes 8 servings
Grill sausage at your next barbecue and add to potato salad just before serving. Ideal for tailgating parties.
Prep Time: 15 min. Cook Time: 15 min.
2/3 cup prepared vinaigrette salad dressing
1/3 cup FRENCH’S® Spicy Brown Mustard or FRENCH’S® Horseradish Mustard
1 tbsp. sugar
1 ½ lbs. red or boiling-type potatoes, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 cup chopped celery
½ cup chopped onion
½ lb. kielbasa or smoked sausage, split lengthwise
1. MIX salad dressing, mustard and sugar in large bowl; set aside.
2. COOK potatoes in boiling salted water to cover for 10 to 15 min. until potatoes are tender. Drain and transfer to bowl. Add bell pepper, celery and onion; set aside.
3. Grill sausage over medium-high heat until lightly browned and heated through. Cut into small cubes. Add to bowl with potatoes. Toss well to coat evenly. Serve warm.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
FRENCH’S® Foods, a division of Reckitt Benckiser, the maker of FRENCH’S® mustards, is a leading manufacturer, marketer, and distributor of food and household products. Some other well known, trusted household names in the Reckitt Benckiser Inc. family of food products include FRANK’S® REDHOT® Cayenne Pepper Sauce, FRENCH’S® French Fried Onions and FRENCH’S® Worcestershire sauce.
Disclosure:I received no monetary compensation for this post. I did receive some coupons for review purposes. All thoughts and opinions are my own.