I have a really neat game for you to play for a Family Fun Night or just anytime you can get a group together. It is called My Pole-ish Horseshoes! My family thinks it's a lot of fun. Divide into two teams of two. Everyone else can watch and cheer for a team until it's their turn. You can actually get a tournament going if you have enough people. Now,you have 2 poles on bases. (The pictures will explain much more! You place a can of 12 oz. can of soda, pop, or cola. (whichever name you prefer!) on the top of the pole. Set the poles up approx. 30 ft. apart or a comfortable distance based on the age of those playing. Each team places a can on top of their pole. Then using a Frisbee the teams take turns trying to knock each others can off the pole. There is a catch though, you have to hold a can in one hand, and the other team will be guarding their base and trying to catch the Frisbee, of course while holding a can in one hand! Also if they catch the can before it hits the ground, all while holding a can in one hand. Points are based on knocking the can off and whether the other team catches the Frisbee and/or can. Sound like fun? My children thought so, and they were playing it in snow! Of course I am sure it is just as much fun without snow. Now, these are just the basic rules, I am including the complete rules below.
Rules for MPH:
- Place MPH poles 30 feet apart or a desired distance.
- Place a 12-ounce beverage can on top of each pole.
- Each team takes a turn throwing the Frisbee. The throwing team is the offensive team and the team catching the Frisbee is the defensive team. Team members switch back and forth with their partners every time it is their turn to throw.
- When throwing the Frisbee you must stand behind your pole.
- The defending team only has to catch the Frisbee when the throw is within one step left or right of the two people defending. If the two defending people have to jump to catch the Frisbee they don’t have to catch it. No points are awarded when the throw is out of range.
- Throw the Frisbee and hit nothing – but the other team catches the Frisbee – the offensive teams gets no points.
- Throw the Frisbee and hit nothing – but the other team drops the Frisbee – the offensive team gets a single point. Throw the Frisbee and hit the pole, and the can falls off, the offensive team gets two points. If the defensive team catches the Frisbee or the can – but not both – the offensive team gets one point. Should the defensive team catch both the Frisbee and the can, the offensive team gets no points.
- Throw the Frisbee and hit the can off the pole, you get three points. If the defensive team catches the can or Frisbee but not both the offensive team gets two points. If the defensive team catches both the can and Frisbee, the offensive team gets one point.
- If the offensive team throws the Frisbee short of the pole, the defensive team gets a penalty shot. A penalty shot allows the defensive team to take a shot from where the Frisbee landed.
The My Pole-ish Horseshoes come in a choice of the two pole colors and the base, along with a Competition Quality 9 5/8" Frisbee with the MPH logo. They are $60 plus shipping.
This is definitely a game we will be playing more of. I am sure it was designed for good weather, but the snow just adds to the fun. Recommended for teens, college age and adults, even my younger ones enjoyed playing. This would make a great picnic, or family reunion game!
Disclosure:I received no Monetary Compensation for this review. I did receive one set of My Pole-ish Horseshoes for review purposes. All quotes are taken from the website. All thoughts and opinions are mine.